Milk Crate Mods
From Mod Mania
This mod is actually an initiative of my boyfriend, he had the idea of using milk crates as furniture, particularly a lounge.
So he collected milk crates and an cushions from an old lounge at one of the RMIT garage sales and pulled it off very nicely. I just neatened it up a bit!
1. Source crates and cushions.
2. Organise the crates on the floor where you would like the lounge, in the most structurally sound way. Also make sure some of the milk crates face with the open side out, so that you can use this as storage.
3. Arrange the cushions on the bed of milk crates into the shape of a lounge. The spikes in the back of the cushions neatly fit into the holes in the crate and help make it secure.
4. After making sure it's comfortable, use a bed sheet to cover the lounge, tucking in all the edges for neatness.
5. Add cushions for effect!
Crate Side Table
He had been using left over milk crates as a bedside table. We agreed that a lid on the milk crate would add to the idea. It would prevent objects falling through and would make the mod seem more deliberate.
1. Take some acrylic. Cut it to size on the drag saw.
2. Put masking tape on the top of the cover in the negative to the pattern you are looking for.
3. Cut triangular pieces to size. Glue these onto the underside of the cover, so that they wedge into the gaps and secure the cover on the crate.
4. Cover the backside of the cover with contact paper.
5. Sand blast the front.
6. Peel off the tape and contact.
7. Place on crate. Done!